NTSB begins train crash investigation

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy, Fairfield Police Chief Gary MacNamara and Fairfield First Selectman Michael Tetreau join officials from the National Transportation Safety Board inspecting the tracks where one train derailed and was struck by a second. (Photo from Gov. Malloy's office)

Investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board arrived at the scene of Friday night’s train accident at the Bridgeport-Fairfield line, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy tweeted around 10:20 a.m. Saturday.

Preliminary reports indicate that one train derailed, and was struck by a second.

As Malloy said during a press conference at the scene Friday night, work on the catenary system that carries electrical wires to power the trains.

In response to a question about the possibility an obstruction was placed on the track, Malloy replied that the tracks are virtually in constant use during rush hour, and other trains would have safely passed the scene prior to the collision.

Still, Fairfield Police Lt. Jim Perez said that the FBI and Secret Service had been notified, and terrorism had to be ruled out before other causes examined.

“We have no reason to believe it was anything but an accident but obviously that is something that needs to be looked at,” Malloy said.

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© Hersam Acorn. All rights reserved. Valley Gazette, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress